Thursday, June 09, 2016

June 9, 2016

Been pretty lax with the blog postings for a couple of years... I guess it's the boredom, or the lack of substantial things to say.

I'm not a Mom, so I can't really blog about being one... I'm a foodie, but I don't like posting much about stuff that I like eating, unless I really feel passionate about the food...

But today, of all days, I felt the urge to write something... Not sure if this is due to hormones, boredom, or just the lack of people to talk to (whatever!)...

Last night, as with the last few nights, I watched one of the movies saved on my Hard Drive which I have not watched before. Last night it was "Something Borrowed," starring Ginnifer Goodwin, Kate Hudson, John Krasinski and Colin Egglesfield.

I thought it was just your typical story of childhood girlfriends: one becomes the popular party girl, while the other is a more mature professional (doctor, lawyer, etc.). They would seem polar opposites, but they love each other despite their differences. Both would fall for the same guy, with the more "mature" friend sacrificing her affections in favor of her relationship with her life-long best friend. 

But, this movie had something about it that made me think... Made me feel things I haven't felt in a long time (while watching a movie). In the scenes where Rachel (Ginnifer Goodwin's character) was having flashbacks, from the time she walked away from the dinner she was having with her best friend, Darcy (Kate Hudson's character), and Law School crush, Dex (Colin Egglesfield), 6 years earlier, I felt a pinch, a tightening, in my chest (and I still feel it, as I remember the scene). It seems that I feel what Rachel felt when she saw the 2 people she loved hitting it off, thinking that they are better off together.

Rachel thought that Dex, a good-looking, well-bred guy, wouldn't fall for her, a geeky, studious person. All the while, Dex was pining for Rachel, but was distracted by Darcy's outgoing personality, that he, eventually, fell for her.

My takeaway from the movie: A dull ache in my heart... Maybe an aching to feel how it is to love, and be loved? I don't know...

I consider myself an NBSB (No Boyfriend Since Birth), although it is not entirely accurate. I did have a boyfriend at 13... Of course, at that time, I didn't know how it was to have a boyfriend. We just hung out, talked... We never even held hands! I'm sure my parents would be glad to know that I never even kissed this guy. Heck! I haven't even kissed ANY guy in an intimate way!

Now, at age 36, I feel as if I've lost that window of opportunity of finding THE ONE. To feel giddy with someone. To feel in love like a kid.

Also, I've never had a relationship quite like Darcy and Rachel's. I don't think I really have friends who I could really consider as a Best Friend, and who considers me the same. I'm always an after-thought to some of the people I grew up with. Like a wallflower: Always from the outside looking in.

I shall digress, because this is getting too self-deprecating. And I don't like pity parties...

Anyway, the movie ended in a good note for Rachel and Dex, with them ending up with each other, while Darcy ends up pregnant with another guy's baby.

I like this one because it seems like a light movie, with pinches and tingles here and there. I love romantic comedies and light love stories, as they usually make me happy and temporarily giddy. Well, they still do...

1 comment:

tin-tin said...

elaine! may post ko pala! hehe.
anyway, you're not a wallflower. and not an after-thought. we just don't see each other often coz hello we live from both ends of the metro. hahaha. and we have our own busy-ness with life...