Monday, October 24, 2005

Venting Out

Since I haven't been blogging the past few weeks, I've acquired some angst and peevishness that's been wanting to explode. But since the site has been blocked by our Office's Servers, I didn't have any means of slowly letting them off.

Anyway, its been bothering me a lot these past few days, and right now it's at the homestretch. I really don't want it to reach the point of no return, so I decided to vent out a bit, despite the time (It's already past 3:00AM!).

I'll get things started with the less irritating up to the downright infuriating.

First off... Don't you just hate it when you're on your day off or on leave, after weeks of hard work and never-ending overtime, then your colleagues call you with some "Urgent" matter, which turns out to be something that they can very well manage themselves? That's just WRONG!

Well, I got 4 Missed Calls on my Mobile this afternoon, while I was taking a much needed nap, from a colleague who asked me to "urgently" call her up. I've kind-of learned my lesson not to make or take that call, especially if it's from that particular colleague. She'd always call on somebody when she receives a call from a client that involves a particular quotation or endorsement that she did not make or could not find. Then, you'd end up miserable for the entire time you're out of the office.

In short, I ignored the call back, and went on with my day.

Another "non-family" thing that's irking me at the moment, is the feeling of being deceived by someone who we have considered as a friend. It's a bit sad that all this time that we've tried to connect with her, being open to her, shared laughs, concerns and little triumphs with her, she wasn't being totally herself with us.

I take it as a personal blow, because I've tried to put myself out there to connect with her in any way I could, trying to befriend her and trying to find a little connection. Then, I find out that she's been putting up a front for about a year or so. Even the person closest to her in our small little group was shocked to find out something that she'd never admitted to him.

Now, she's completely dissociating herself from us, and if that's what she wants, I'd be more than happy to oblige. Whatever floats your boat, dear. It's just a shame to have wasted your year with our existence.

The next event, or should I say, people, that's getting under my skin are 2 of my relatives. My Uncle and my cousin.

I just hate freeloaders, don't you? I know I still live with my parents, but that does not mean I get everything for free. And in no means do I expect to "ride on" my parents' incomes. Well, that's what's ticking me off with these 2. They're practically living off my poor, ailing grandmother's good graces. Actually, not just hers, but almost everyone who'd unwittingly fall for their charms.

It's okay to ask help from your relatives once in a while, but of course, you'd have to prove yourself worthy of that help as well. But alas!

Thank goodness, my immediate family is independent and tough enough not to fall into parasitic relations with them. Though we still regard them as family, we don't give them any opening or opportunity to suck the living daylights out of us.

Though I shouldn't be too affected by their free-loading ways, I just feel so bad for my Grandparents and my Uncle and Aunt who've tried to help them out, but to no avail. If only they'd showed interest in becoming more independent and self-sufficient. But no... They continue to live off of the family. Even their own immediate family is getting pretty frustrated with the lack of enthusiasm and drive that my Uncle and cousin has been exhibiting.

I think the most infuriating thing that's been bothering me this week has been the flagrant exclusion that our relatives have been doing to my family. This isn't the first time it has happened, though. And I suspect that it wouldn't be the last. It's been going on for quite some time now. I don't know if it's a conscious thing, but it's so damn obvious, I wanted to scream!

My Aunt, who has been out of the country for 16 years, came back for a 2 week vacation. At first, a lot of plans were made for this homecoming, then, everything fell apart. Now, everything revolved around what my other Aunt would schedule for my Aunt from the US. Most of which, excluded my family.

If my Aunt and my Grandmother hadn't asked my sister and I for some help in acquiring a Rental Van, we wouldn't have been invited to go to Baguio with my Aunt.

Then, yesterday, there were talks of going to Tagaytay today, to bring my Aunt's best friend around. Though everyone talked about it, even inviting my other cousins, no one said an "inviting" word to us (My Siblings and Myself), even if it was quite obvious that we were free for the weekend.

What really rubbed me the wrong way was when they stopped over our house, just to wait for our other relatives before leaving for Tagaytay. No one even asked if we would be interested to go with them! My Aunt did ask if we were doing anything today, to which I answered to the negative, thinking it would be a subtle enough hint that we would like to go with them. But I think subtlety is ineffective for these people.

If I were the only one affected, I would've let this pass, yet again. But, unfortunately, my Sister was also affected. Since, like I've mentioned, it wasn't the first time they completely excluded my family from something, it prompted my sister to repeat what we always love to say in these occasions... "Sila-sila lang naman talaga ang magkaka-pamilya, eh!" (Translation: "They're the only ones who are related anyway.") But what can we do? I can only nod in agreement to the statement that says, "We cannot choose our Family."

All I can do now is sigh and leave all these things to God. I know it would be un-Christian to retaliate, and the best way to release all these pent up frustrations is by airing them out. I'll try to sleep on them tonight, and maybe it'll be better tomorrow.

No comments: