Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11, 2008

My Birthday officially ended about 4 and a half hours ago, and yet I haven't felt like it was really that special. I think, only the beginning of my birthday was the one worth remembering.

Last September 9 was the 40th Day of Tito Pat Lubaton's passing. In the Filipino Catholic culture, we observe it with prayers, the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass & some fellowship (aka. Breaking Bread, aka. Feasting, aka. Eating). Since Tito Pat's family is like my own, I decided to drop by after school, to remember Tito Pat & just show the family my support.

After dinner, my Parents wanted to go home & rest for the day. Chi-Chi, Tito Pat's eldest daughter, and a very good friend of mine, asked my Parents if I could stay longer, and told them that she'll just bring me home. I didn't mind, since I loved catching up with them anyway, and I was looking forward to chatting with Tatee (my Best College Buddy & one of the closest people in my heart, who also happened to be Tito Pat's youngest daughter --- Yan Tatee ha! Youngest!!!) over the net (Tatee lives in Singapore now).

As the night wore on, all of the guests have gone, Tatee already logged off, the late night news was done, and the rain pounded heavily on the roof, I still found myself in the Lubaton residence, just chatting with Chi, Bong, Dennis, Gerard & Tita Cindy. At about 11:45PM, I asked Chi, if it was ok for her to bring me home already, since I had a very early class the next day. Chi went to her Parents' bedroom to, what I assumed was, tell Tita Cindy that I was leaving. I was wondering what kept Chi, when I saw Dennis looking over my shoulder with some confusion. I looked back and I saw Chi holding a Red Ribbon Cake with candles lit!

The Lubatons gave me an impromptu Birthday Celebration right smack at Midnight! To think that the get-together was really just to remember Tito Pat, and not my Birthday. Somehow, I felt that Tito Pat was giving me one last gift for me to remember him by. He wanted me to celebrate the start of my birthday with him and his family. I was so touched! No one had ever given me a cake in such a very long time. And what gave it more meaning, was that Tita Cindy, and her kids, tried to forget their loss for a few minutes to celebrate my life. No one, other than my family, has ever done that for me. I feel blessed. I feel loved. I feel special.

When I got home, I felt at peace. I forgot about my "Birthday Blues" for a while, and I suddenly found it easy to sleep (which is a first!). Unfortunately, I was roused by the sudden clanging of our door bell, announcing that the Water Delivery Service has arrived to fill our tanks. I had to wake my cousin up, while I tried to go back to sleep, which seemed like an impossible feat. I tried in vain, until it was time for me to go to school. I had a big breakfast, and went on my merry way.

The rest of my day was spent in school (for about an hour and a half), in the Internet Shop, trying to be like a Gymnast & balancing on narrow elevations to avoid the floods, and walking around the Mall of Asia with my Mom.

I wanted to go home early, since I wanted to catch up on my sleep, but since the traffic outside was horrendous, my Mom just told me to go with her to the Prayer Meeting, so that someone can also keep her awake while she drove. We got some Starbucks Coffee before we went into Sanctuario De San Antonio for the Community Mass.

I really did not want to go to the Community Mass since I was already tired and had a terrible headache. But I think the Lord had other plans. There was a part of the mass when I really felt the Lord touch me. I started to tear up, but I was able to control myself. I wiped away the tears, and just relished in the experience.

Since my Birthday has already gone to a close, I'd just like to thank everyone who remembered. Though the numbers have dwindled (as did my age! Hahahaha!), I still appreciate the thought. Love you all. And now, I have to sleep since I only have an hour left before I have to wake up. Thanks again!!!

No comments: