Saturday, June 26, 2004

Insomniac Extraordinare

That is my occupation on my Friendster account.

Why?

I am not sleep-deprived, nor is it by choice. There is a perfectly logical explanation to it... I work the Graveyard Shift. Well, that is, until July 4th.

I work in one of the biggest Contact Centers here in Makati. I handle the travel concerns of some of the wealthiest people in the Philippines. Calls rarely come during my shift, but it could still screw a person's body clock really bad.

One of the things I really hate about the GY Shift is my Rest Days. Although they may seem longer, it doesn't help my body clock much. It actually adds to my irregular sleeping patterns.

You see, on my Rest Days (which are on Wednesdays and Thursdays), I sleep at the "Regular Time," which is around 10:30PM and wake up at 8:30AM. This screws me up on a Friday, when I have to go to work at 9:00PM. I am awake the whole day of Friday, so when I get to work I am often drowsy or sleepy.

Well, my Co-Workers and I share the same problem. And since we hardly get any calls, we tend to sleep off half of our shifts! Oftentimes, people are surprised that we sleep at work! Not that our manager really minds, she doesn't! As long as we answer the calls that come in, it's fine. It's a nice trade off.

At least, when I drive home from work, I do not feel drowsy or sleepy on the wheel!

I just hope I can get a more Regular shift next time around. July 4, come fast!!!

No comments: