Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Buzz Off

I had a great weekend just this week. I had nothing more to ask for, and I was content. Honestly, I was even quite relieved to have it over with. It was a tiring weekend, but it was well worth it. I was happy, and that was all that mattered.

But certain people just had to burst that contentment bubble I was in. People who want to ruin other people's day, just for fun.

First, one of my colleagues just had to share that he had a run-in with a ghost, here in our work area, just yesterday. And he knows I am petrified of those stories and experiences. To make matters worse, we were on Graveyard Shift!!!

After he told his story, another colleague just found it essential to rub in the ghost situation by joking about it. They already knew I was scared to my wit's end, and they just had to push my buttons. My Team Leader noticed that I was somewhat pissed, so we tried to talk about it during our weekly PEP Talks. I told her that I did not appreciate having people push the wrong buttons and just continue pushing, as if nothing was wrong with it. How INSENSITIVE can these people get?!?

And just about an hour, or so, ago, another colleague was simply very eager to push me over the edge with uncalled for sarcasm.

That person feels very comfortable in insulting me in jest. He likes doing that to everyone. Just because he thinks everyone likes the way he jokes around, he thinks I can appreciate it as well. At first, I didn't mind because I like this person. He was fun to be with. But as time wore on, his attacks became more sarcastic, more personal and more serious. At least his tone was.

So, how was I to interpret it? He also acted like he disliked me whenever he was around my presence. Since his tone and sarcasm became more serious, I had to perceive it to be a REAL attack. I am not, usually, a confrontational person, but I did try to assert my point.

Today, I just had enough. He was accusing me of unjustly picking the Graveyard Shift for next month.* Hello?!? I had to pick a shift the way everyone did... By drawing lots. Was it my fault I got the lot that said Graveyard Shift?!? How dare he accuse me of being unfair in something that was done at Random?!?

Add to that, everyone already noticed how quiet I was when they arrived. I was still tripping from the "Ghost Stories" from the night before, and he just had to flagrantly accuse me of something I did not do. The heck?!?

So, just to put his mind at ease, I circulated an email within our team about swapping my Graveyard Shift with another. After I sent the email out, he came out with HIS own email circulation saying something about being "mature" about taking jokes. He's talking about being mature?!? Why not talk about being SENSITIVE for a while, huh?!? Jeeze!

After all I've been through with his below-the-belt sarcasm and joking, I will not take any of his crap anymore. Unless he becomes more sensitive to others, his sarcasm is not welcome, be it in jest or not. I just hope, against hope, someone slaps him with the realization that not everyone appreciates his sarcastic remarks, even if they are done jokingly. Because, in the first place, everyone knows that jokes are really half meant!
___________________________
* Our team changes Shift Schedules every month.

No comments: