Thursday, June 30, 2005

Il Mare

I just recently bought a Video CD Copy of the Korean film Il Mare (Siworae), starring Jeon Ji-Hyun and Lee Jung-Jae. I was actually intrigued by the movie at first, since a lot of Hallyu Fans rave about the Movie, claiming that it is one of the BEST Hallyu Movies to date.

During the down time at work yesterday, I plopped the CD in my CD-ROM and started to play the movie. In just a matter of a few minutes, I found myself getting drawn into the movie plot.

The movie starts on Christmas 1999 with Kim Eun-Joo (Jeon Ji-Hyun) writing a Christmas Card to the future occupants of the house she was vacating. In her Card, she asked if they (the future occupants) could just forward her mail to her new address in the City. In the next scene, Han Sung-Hyun (Lee Jung-Jae) moves into the house that we saw Eun-Joo vacate earlier. He opens up the mailbox and sees the Card that Eun-Joo left.

Sung-Hyun finds the letter odd as it was dated on Christmas 1999. It turns out that Sung-Hyun is living in the year 1997. Sung-Hyun and Eun-Joo exchange several letters and find themselves in a friendship that transends space and time.

As the story unfolds, you could not help but feel the multitude of emotions that flow through the screen. It made me weep, laugh, smile and sigh. It was just so powerful.

I am not wondering why Hollywood has bought the rights to the movie, at all. The Hollywood version of Il Mare will star Keanu Reeves as Alex Burnham and Sandra Bullock as Kate Forster and it is slated to be shown in 2006. Production for the Hollywood version is already underway, and I cannot wait to see how Hollywood interprets this beautifully powerful movie. I just hope they do not butcher it with too much Hollywood Hype.

To those who are just starting to get into Hallyu, I strongly suggest you watch this film. It is excellent! On a scale of 1 to 10, I give it a 9.4! Watch it!

No comments: