Friday, September 09, 2005

Vanity... Not My Favorite Sin

Have you guys seen "The Devil's Advocate?" It's the movie with Keanu Reeves, Al Pacino and Charlize Theron. It isn't my most favorite film, but it struck a cord in me. It was something that John Milton (Al Pacino's Character) mentioned.

"Vanity is definitely MY Favorite Sin."

Well, it ain't mine! That's for sure!

If you know me, you'd know that I am not one for washing my face, or putting on moisturizers, toners, creams, sunblock, and what have you. Ack! Not in my lifetime! I hardly even put any perfume on! I'm perfectly happy with the Johnson's Baby Cologne that I use everyday! It seems that I do not have a single drop of vanity in my body.

But today... The Day before my 26th Birthday, I'm forced to learn the ways of vanity. I had to take on a beauty regimen! Que Horror!

Let me tell you how this all happened... It's a very sad story, I tell you! So, read on...

I got up early today. Considering that I'm on leave, getting up at 8:30 AM is already early for me. In fact, way too early! I wanted to sleep until the sun is burning it's hottest, but alas! It was not meant to be.

My Mom woke me up and told me to get ready. We were going to the Dermatologist. Although my Mom is already a Dermatologist, she was being trained by another Doctor on some of the new procedures and services that could help expand my Mom's business. And I was gonna be her Guinea Pig!

So, off we went to the far flung municipality of San Juan to the clinic of the Dermatologist-Mentor of my Mom. After waiting for about 2 hours, my stomach started grumbling. So I went out and grabbed me some grub. (Lol!) When I got back, I had to wait for another hour before my Mom called me into the Treatment Area.

The Doctor started to wash my face with a Cleanser and put some Cucumber slices on my eyes before starting the Steamer. Then, she proceeded to prick the pimples that populated my face. It wasn't as traumatic as I thought. I've gone through traumatic facials before, and it got me so scared. But this particular Doctor was very light-handed. I barely felt anything. Except maybe when she began picking on my 2 "problem pimples." That was... Eeeekkk!!!

Then, after everything, she gave me a skin care regimen that I have to follow for a few weeks. Ack! The horror!

It would've been okay if she told me to just wash my face with a certain soap, or put ice on my face to prevent swelling and to help in the peeling. But NO! She had to give me 3 different creams and 4 different liquid solutions that I have to apply on my face in the morning and in the evening! I can now hear reverberations that sounds eerily like the background music in every horror movie ever made!

Oh! The tragedy of having pimples! Why did I have to develop them at this age?!? I was doing perfectly well with my skin, until this year! Agh! What I have to do to remain pretty! (There goes my modesty, marching out the door!)

Wish me luck, everybody... I hope I can stick to this new routine!

I say... "VANITY... It's Definitely NOT My Favorite Sin!"

1 comment:

duke said...

tsk tsk tsk.. you should take extra care with your skin now! we are not getting younger daaaahhhhhling! ;)

isn't it abvious that vanity is sometimes a favorite sin of mine? that is why Devil's Advocate scared me so much!