Wednesday, July 21, 2004

On Steroids and Asthma

The past few evenings, I've been having Asthma Attacks while asleep. It's so bothersome, that, at times, it prevents me from going to work the next day (to think I have to wake up at 4:45AM). The worst attack was last Monday morning (around 3AM). What made it really worse was the realization that I left my Inhaler in my office drawer. I had no medicine available in the house!!!

I finally decided to go to the Emergency Medical Clinic that afternoon to consult with a Doctor (since my mom was out of the country). The doctor became concerned when I told her that I hardly get any attacks, until these past few evenings. She recommended that I take some medicine to widen my airway before bedtime and some STEROIDS!!!

I was concerned at the sound of Steroids because I know that once you get into steroids, you'll have to maintain it or you'll experience some unwanted side-effects. The doctor, however, assured me that I should not be concerned about the side-effects since the medicine, Medrol (Generic Name: Methylprednisolone), didn't have any, and it was to be taken orally.

At the Clinic, I also took some Ventolin via a Nebulizer. That medication cost me! I had to pay PhP310.00 for it! Good thing I had some cash with me at that time. After that, I had zip!

It was all good, though. I was able to sleep well the next few evenings... Until this morning. I had a slight attack while I tried to sneeze, as I woke up. It eventually faded, but I was still concerned. I just hope that after I take all these medicine, I will be able to sleep comfortably again.

No comments: