Friday, July 30, 2004

Weird Weekend

I had the Weirdest Weekend ever!

First off, my "weekend" is not the same as everyone else's. My weekends are Tuesdays and Wednesdays (for the whole month of July). So that's one of the weird facts (except for those who work in Contact Centers and 24/7 Operations).

But, what made my weekend extremely bizarre (at least, for me) was that everything seemed to go wrong!

Last Monday, as I ended work and started my weekend, I found out that my car had been towed! That sucked big time! I was unable to move my car to a Pay Parking area because I was stuck on the phones. I couldn't go out to move the car except during my Lunch hour (which I took at 1:00pm). However, instead of doing so, I had to use my Lunch Hour to pay numerous bills and go to the Bank. So when I finally was able to go down and move it, it was already gone!

Good thing I remembered that one of my Dad's cousins was a Barangay Council Member. I called her up and told her what happened. She agreed to help me, after much lecturing. So I went home on a Shuttle which was, for me, better than driving home.

Early the next morning, I went back to Makati to meet with my Aunt who accompanied me to where the car had been impounded. She gave them the Towing Ticket, which had already been signed by the Barangay Council Chairman. After they checked on my License and Registration, they released the car to me without having to pay the usual PhP1,000 fee.

Everything went on smoothly after that. Or so I thought.

The very next day, Wednesday, I woke to find that we had no running water. I checked on our Pressure Pump, to see if it was turned on. It was not. Usually, if the Pump was off, the water could not be stored in our Overhead Tank. I called my Dad to see if he turned it off. He said that he did because the Pump's motor had been running the whole night and yet there was no water pressure coming in. He had to shut it off or else the fuse might pop. He asked if I had paid the Water bill, to cancel out the possibility that out Water had been disconnected. I had already paid the current water bill, so it was out of the question. Then, I checked the Water Meter outside of our house. It was gone!

I immediately went to the Waterworks Office to ask what had happened. Why our Meter was taken. (They usually take the Water Meter if your service had been disconnected). I told them that I had already paid our bill. The Engineering Department of the Waterworks told me that they had not Disconnected our service and that there have been numerous reports of stolen Water Meters in our area. We have just been victimized by these unscrupulous Meter thieves!

I called my Dad to tell him about what happened. He spoke with one of the Engineers there and asked if we could have our Meter reinstalled in a different area. They made arrangements for the Meter to be replaced and reinstalled, and everything was settled.

That was my Weird Weekend. Well, most of it anyway.

No comments: